What's your worst fear? Spiders? Heights? Flying? What about finding a dead reptile shriveled up in your salad?
That's what happened to one woman in Maine, who, after preparing a salad and taking a few bites, made a terrible discovery among her lettuce -- a dead 3-inch long lizard. But that's not even the worst part -- its tail was gone.
The woman, Michelle Carr, immediately vomited (as we all would if we found a half-eaten lizard corpse in our food) and feared she had ingested harmful bacteria, the AP reported. The lizard she found is believed to be a blue-bellied lizard native to California.
Warning: these photos are not for those with queasy stomachs.
Carr bought the lettuce at a supermarket in Portsmouth, New Hampshire in late January. The romaine lettuce is store-brand and distributed from a California company. According to the AP, a spokesperson for the supermarket notified the supplier.
The story went viral, and everyone is gagging. Twitter user @FreelandChris tweeted, "I didn't need another reason to be a meat and potatoes guy..."
@DavidFabersHair tweeted, "I'm going to move some things around to make room for my new fear."
Some people managed to have a sense of humor about it. Twitter user @CW13500 tweeted, "Lucky winner! Turn it in for your prize!"
@Ackattackack tweeted simply, "A saladmander."
Carr contacted the state Health Department, but because the lettuce was packaged and shipped from California, the Food and Drug Administration would be the one to conduct an investigation into how that lizard ended up in the food, the AP reported.
Though it seems outlandish to find a corpse in your leafy greens, let this be a lesson to us all -- if you don't want to be scarred for life, check your food.
Brainjet is devoted to providing you with all of the craziest, most eye-opening, and overall most interesting information out there.