These flowers may look beautiful, but they could really harm you, or even kill you! It just goes to show you that while beauty is inviting, it doesn't mean that it's good for you.
The flowers attract bees but the honey produced can cause low blood pressure and death. Actually the entire plant can be deadly so the best way to enjoy it is by leaving it alone.
All parts of this plant are poisonous, even the white flowers. Rapid cardiac failure accompanied by a long list of other symptoms can be followed by death if the flowers are ingested.
Ragwort has a bitter taste, and a pungent aroma, which makes accidental ingestion rare. Ragwort is more dangerous to livestock than to human beings. However, for allergy sufferers ragwort can bring on fatal respiratory symptoms.
This flowering tree is also known as the "suicide tree." The poison, an alkaloid toxin related to digoxin, paralyzes the heart.
Though not a true lily, like other lilies, it is poisonous. Skin irritation and a rash can occur upon contact.
The blossoms, like the rest of the tree, are poisonous. A fatal dosage would have to be large since the toxic component of Laburnum isn't particularly potent but it is still powerful enough to cause gastric distress.
The pink flowers of this plant, also known as the amaryllis belladonna, have a lovely smell but contain poisons that cause cardiovascular collapse.
The fruit of cherries is not toxic but the cherry pits, damaged leaves, and pruned limbs of the tree do contain cyanide compounds.
Grown for its fragrant flower, all parts of the Daphne are poisonous, but especially the sap and berries. Headaches, delirium, and convulsions are typical signs of poisoning.
Sometimes called sweet slumber, bloodroot is a member of the poppy family and its toxicity is similar to that of opium. Bloodroot poisoning causes drowsiness leading to a coma and death.
Hemlock Water Dropwort
One of the most poisonous plants in the wild, it is easily mistaken for parsnip, celery or parsley. However the entire plant, including the flowers is poisonous and death from eating any part can occur within hours.
A plant that is native to Sub-Saharan Africa. It is sometimes called the desert rose and grown as a house or garden plant. In Africa, the sap of the plant has been traditionally used to poison arrows for hunting. Small doses cause nausea and vomiting but larger doses will result in a fatal heart attack.
This plant is so poisonous that it can kill whales! Hunters in the Aleutian Islands coated the heads of their harpoons with an extract to kill whales.
Only the opium poppy, papaver somniferum, is used for the production of opium, but all species of poppy contain chemicals that suppress the nervous system and cause death.