From criminals to spies, hikers to missing children, there are hundreds of crazy and creepy mysteries out there. Cold murder cases, unresolved and unsolved mysteries. Here are a few of our favorites of those.

The Boy In The Box
The Boy In The Box

Philadelphia, winter, 1957. A man sees a rabbit run into the underbrush in the Fox Chase neighborhood of Philadelphia. Because he knows there are animal traps in the area, the man gets out his car to check on the fate of the rabbit. He doesn't find the rabbit but instead makes a much more gruesome discovery: the decaying remains of a small child, hidden in a box from JC Penny. 60 years later and we are no closer to knowing who murdered the boy and today he is buried in the Ivy Hill Cemetary in Philadelphia with a large headstone that simply reads "America's Unknown Child." The boy has come to symbolize all unsolved mysteries involving the death of children in America.

There are a couple of solid theories that investigators have worked on. The first involves a foster home that is within a couple of miles of where the body was found. The theory goes that the stepdaughter of the foster father was an unwed mother and the child was hers. When the child died, either by accident or by murder, the family hid the body in the box so as to not expose her. This theory gained even weirder traction when a supposed psychic was brought in and led police directly to the foster home. Police interviewed the family and determined they were not involved. Later, a DNA test proved the boy was not the son of the stepdaughter.

The other leading theory centers on a woman known as "M." In interviews with investigators, "M" claimed that her mother had purchased the child in 1954 and had been horribly abusive to both him and M. Eventually, the mother took things to the extreme and beat the boy to death. The police were intrigued by M's story, but she had a history of mental illness and neighbors at the time said they didn't remember a boy fitting the description of the one found in the box and the police gave up on the lead.

We may never know what really happened to the boy in the box.

Disappearance Of Trevaline Evans
Disappearance Of Trevaline Evans

Trevaline Evans was a shopkeeper from the small, quaint town of Llangollen in northern Wales, not far from the coast of the Irish Sea. In 1990, she left a note on the door of her antique shop that read "Back In 2 Minutes." She has been missing ever since.

It is thought that she might have returned to the store because a banana peel was found in the trash. Evans had purchased a banana shortly after she put the sign up and left the shop, seemingly for lunch. Her purse, with her wallet and keys, were also in the store and her car remained parked nearby. She was last seen walking across the street near the shop, probably on her way back after buying the banana.

There were two unconfirmed sightings of Evans in the hours after she went missing, but neither has been substantiated. A woman claims to have seen her walking out of town shortly after her last confirmed sighting. Another person claims to have seen her over an hour later near the river in town. But again, neither has been confirmed.

Of course, the first primary suspect in a case like this is usually the missing person's significant other and indeed, her husband Richard was the first person the police suspected. It was discovered that Richard was miles away, rehabbing the couple's vacation home in Rhuddlan, closer to the coast, and he was ruled out as a suspect in the disappearance.

Later, the police investigated if there was a link to a serial killer named Robert Lingus, but he too was ruled out.

In 2001, the investigation was reopened but nothing more was learned. It remains open to this day, 27 years later and nothing more is known now than was known then.

The Disappearance Of Brandon Swanson
The Disappearance Of Brandon Swanson

Brandon Swanson was a 19-year-old college student living with his parents in the town of Marshall, Minnesota. Late one night in the spring of 2008, Brandon was on his way home from hanging out with friends when he swerved into a ditch on the side of the road. He was uninjured, but he was unable to get his car out, so he called his parents around 2 am to tell them his plight and have them pick him up. He gave his parents his location, near the town of Lynd, MN, about 20 minutes from home. The Swansons headed to the location and when they arrived they didn't see Brandon, so they called him and he answered. They flashed their lights and Brandon said he didn't see them, so he flashed the lights on his car and his parents didn't see him. Eventually, after a few minutes of driving around while on the phone with Brandon, everyone got annoyed and Brandon told his father he'd walk into Lynd and for his father to meet him there. Brandon's dad drove his mom home and returned a little while later.

On his way back, Brandon and his father stayed on the phone with each other, Brandon trying to direct him to his location and his father trying to find it, all with no luck. For almost an hour, they talked back and forth trying to find each other, and for almost hour, they couldn't. The last thing Brandon's father heard on the phone was Brandon saying 'Oh [crap]!' and then the line went dead. It was the last thing anyone would ever hear from Brandon.

His father continued to search for a few hours and finally contacted the police at 6:30 in the morning. The police located Brandon's car later that day, about 20 miles from where he told his parents he was. That is the only thing that has ever been found.

Dyatlov Pass Incident
Dyatlov Pass Incident

One of the freakiest events in the 20th century was the so-called "Dyatlov Pass Incident."

Igor Dyatlov was the leader of a group of nine hikers that went for a ski/hike in the Ural mountains of Russia in February 1959. The group was made up of experienced hikers and adventurers. This was a group that really knew what they were doing. They planned to return on or around the 12th of February but they never did. On the 20th of the month, Dyatlov's friends that were waiting to hear from him decided it was time to bring in a search and rescue crew.

About a week later, on February 26th, Dyatlov's group's camp was found. The tent was destroyed, cut up from the inside and covered by snow. Inside was most of the belongings of the groups -- their packs, most of their clothes, even most of their shoes.

Outside the tent, there were at least 9 sets of footprints, most with no shoes, some even with no socks. They started finding bodies a few hundred meters from the tent, in various states of dress, but all completely under-dressed for the below-freezing temperatures. The first two bodies were found about 500 meters from the tent under a tree near the remnants of a fire. The bodies were of two men on the expedition and they were dressed only in their underwear and nothing else. 3 other bodies were at 300, 480 and 630 meters away from the tent. It appeared they had been running from the tent. All 5 were determined to have died of hypothermia.

The remaining four hikers were not found until the spring thaw in May. These bodies were slightly better dressed, but all four had massive, possibly fatal injuries. One woman was missing her eyes, tongue, and lips. Three of the four were thought to have died from their injuries while the fourth died of hypothermia, like the others, found in February.

There are dozens of theories, but to this day, we just don't know what caused these experienced hikers to abandon their camp in freezing temperatures without so much as the shoes on their feet.

The Isdal Woman
The Isdal Woman

Who is this mysterious woman that was discovered in the Norwegian wilderness at the end of November 1970? She was found by hikers, partially burned by a fire and somewhat hidden, outside Bergen, Norway.

An autopsy found that the woman had died in a fairly mundane way, a simple drug overdose on sleeping pills, but that's the last thing that was mundane about it. The woman's face was charred beyond recognition. Her fingerprints had been sanded off and her neck was bruised. Nearby was a silver spoon that once had a monogram, but it had been scratched off completely.

Immediately, Interpol came up with a composite drawing and spread the word around Europe. Soon, they discovered two suitcases at a train station in Oslo, Norway that they determined were owned by the woman. The clothes had all the tags removed. There was a prescription bottle, but the personal info was peeled off. There was also a diary with coded-entries, corresponding to locations they believed the woman had traveled. A postcard was found from an Italian man she had met in Loen, but that lead dried up. Eventually, they discovered that the woman had traveled throughout the world on at least 8 different, false passports and DNA tests in 2016 suggested she may have been French.

Authorities ruled that she committed suicide, but who was she? Was she some kind of spy or multinational criminal? Why the 8 passports? Will we ever know?

The Disappearance Of The Sodder Children
The Disappearance Of The Sodder Children

On Christmas Eve, 1945, a terrible fire broke out at the home of George and Jennie Sodder in Fayetteville, WV. The couple lived there with their 9 children when the fire occurred. George, Jennie and four of the children escaped the house unharmed, but the whereabouts of the other five kids are still unknown today.

Most believe they were killed in the fire, but the family believes they escaped or were kidnapped before the fire happened. It's a stretch, but there is some compelling evidence. Jennie heard something hit the roof during the night, but she dismissed it and fell back asleep. Just a few minutes later, she woke up again to the smell of smoke. The house was soon engulfed and the survivors got out, but the 5 kids that slept in the attic were never seen again.

Because of a bad confluence of events, it took the fire departed almost 5 hours to arrive and by then, there was not much left of the house; it was burned to ashes. A search of the debris revealed no bones or other body parts from the five missing children. The family, especially George, became obsessed with the missing children and he dedicated most of the rest of his life to finding them, as he was convinced they survived the fire. Over the years, there were a few clues, like a random letter that arrived in the '60s that contained a photo that was supposedly one of the boys. This was never determined to be true, nor was it ruled false.

It is unknown what really happened that day and if the children survived.

D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper

One of the most daring heists in history took place around Thanksgiving, 1974. Shortly after takeoff of Northwest Airlines Flight #305, a well-dressed passenger in a suit handed one of the flight attendants a note that read he had a bomb and after she read it, he quietly opened his briefcase and showed what did indeed look like a bomb. The man then gave a list of his demands: $200K and 4 parachutes. The flight attendant then relayed his demands to the pilot.

After officials on the ground had met the man's demands, the plane landed in Seattle, the cash, and the chutes were delivered and the other passengers were released. The plane then took off again and the man told the pilots to head south towards Mexico City. The rest of the crew still aboard was told to join the pilots in the cockpit and shortly after takeoff, the man lowered the rear stairs and disappeared into the night.

After the jump, no one knows what happened to the man that has become known as "D.B. Cooper" in popular culture. The cash, which was all marked, has never turned up back in circulation; he and the money simply vanished.

The Lost Colony Of Roanoke
The Lost Colony Of Roanoke

The Lost Colony Of Roanoke may be the most famous unsolved mystery in history, certainly in American history.

In spring 1585, a group of English settlers founded a colony on Roanoke Island in what is present-day North Carolina. The pioneers, organized by Sir Walter Raleigh, sent by Queen Elizabeth I herself and led by Sir Richard Grenville, were to set up the first English colony in the 'New World.'

Almost from the beginning of their time in the New World, the colonists had poor relations with the Native America tribe nearby, including the Secotan and the Croatans. The natives didn't like the colonists settling nearby and the colonists, in turn, tended to blame their problems on the natives. Eventually, it boiled over after the colonists blamed the Secotan for stealing a silver cup. As a result, the Englishmen raided, sacked and destroyed the nearby Secotan village. This only ratcheted up the ill feelings between the two groups. Later in the summer of 1585, Grenville returned to England, leaving a small garrison behind. For the next two years, there were skirmishes with the nearby natives.

In 1587, Raleigh sent a new group of pioneers, this time lead by James White, to the area to establish a colony north of Roanoke. As part of their trip, they were to stop at the old colony and pick up the remaining garrison. When they arrived, they found no one. The entire fort was empty, save for one skeleton. Instead of moving to their next destination, they had decided they would stay in Roanoke and build the colony there.

James White immediately set out to re-establish good relations with the natives, but, soon after landing, a colonist George Howe was found dead, presumed murdered by a Croatan. After this, White decided to return to England to resupply and get more help to defend the young colony. Unfortuanlty due to a series of events, including the Anglo-Spanish War, it took more than 6 months to return, finally embarking in the spring of 1588.

When he returned, he found no one, not even a trace of any of the colonists. All that he found was a mysterious carving in a post that simply said "CROATAN." 90 people had disappeared seemingly into thin air. There was no evidence of a battle and no evidence of where they had gone. To this day, it remains a mystery as to what happened to them.

The Oakville Blobs
The Oakville Blobs

The rainstorm in Oakville, WA on August 7th, 1994 seemed like any other rainstorm in a rainy part of the world until one local discovered that small white blobs were falling from the sky during the storm. Soon after, Dotty Hearn, who was the mother of the woman who owned the property where the blobs fell, was rushed to the hospital with a mysterious illness that caused her to be dizzy and fatigued. Immediately, Hearn's daughter Sunny Barclift suspected the blobs were to blame, so she asked that they be examined. The first shocking thing is that the blobs were found to be living, or at least, had once been living; they were biological in nature. Later, it was found the blobs contained human white blood cells. To this day, there has not been a definitive answer to what these blobs were, but the most popular theory is they were (or were part of) jellyfish picked up in the nearby Pacific ocean and deposited as rain.

La Isla De La Munecas (The Island Of The Dolls)
La Isla De La Munecas (The Island Of The Dolls)

Southeast of Mexico City lies the borough of _Xochimilco. _Xochimilco is famous for its series of lakes and canals that stretch back 100s of years. It is a popular site for tourists and Mexico City residents to tour the canals on boats and take time to stop on the dozens of man-made islands that dot the waterways called chinampas. One of these chinampas might be one of the creepiest places on earth, the so called "La Isla De La Munecas" or "Island of the Dolls."

It all started 50-odd years ago when the island's only resident, Don Julian Santana, supposedly found the body of a young girl who had drowned in the canal. The event spooked him so badly that for the next 50 years, he collected and decorated the islands with hundreds and hundreds of dolls. He hung them from trees and posts and fences. All over the island are these scary-looking, dead-eyed dolls with a thousand yard stare, mourning for the drowned little girl. No one knows what happened to the girl or if there even was a girl.

Santana passed away in 2002, but the dolls have never been removed and today it is one of the most popular spots for people to visit in Xochimilco. And yeah, it is insanely creepy.

Historians Were Able To Help Track Lewis And Clark's Journey Across The US Thanks To Their Poop new by Briana Saunders Historians Were Able To Help Track Lewis And Clark's Journey Across The US Thanks To Their Poop Read More
The Swedish Holiday Goat That Usually Gets Burned By Vandals Every Year Survives 2017 new by Hugh Scott The Swedish Holiday Goat That Usually Gets Burned By Vandals Every Year Survives 2017 Read More
Many Spots In The US Recently Are Actually Colder Than Temperatures On Mars new by Hugh Solari Many Spots In The US Recently Are Actually Colder Than Temperatures On Mars Read More

Latest Articles

Cheese Is The Most Stolen Food On The Planet Cheese Is The Most Stolen Food On The Planet
Benjamin Franklin Wrote An Essay About Farting Benjamin Franklin Wrote An Essay About Farting

Brainjet is devoted to providing you with all of the craziest, most eye-opening, and overall most interesting information out there.

Dentures Used To Be Made Of Teeth From Dead Soliders Random Jet